Holy New Years[1]/Elie Aizner

I´m opening this essay, with a very provocative statement. This year I had the holiest and meaningful New Years of my life. I´m an Orthodox Jew and this sounds quite awkward coming from the mouth of "such Jews". Let me explain myself by providing an "ally" for my weird statement, the bible.

The book of Samuel, chapter 16, sentence 7 refers to this issue. Samuel is ordered by God to annoint a new king, instead of Saul. God orders Samuel to annoint the future king from Jesse´s sons. At first Samuel thinks that Eliab, the handsome and tall son of Jesse, should be king, but God refuses. God speaks to Samuel and tells him "Look not at his countenance or at the height of his stature; because I have refused him; for the Lord sees not as man sees; for man looks at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks in the heart."

I work as an assistant Commander of a Jewish Identity Course in Zrifin, Israel and sometimes I question the meaning of my work. But when I think of the impact the course leaves on the soldiers for years to come, I understand the importance of my job. Similar questions arose for me when thinking about the whole concept of Birthright. It´s nice to go on a trip with students from abroad and make new friends, but does it have any lasting meaning? As an Orthodox Jew, do I have anything in common with Conservative and Reform Jews?

I think my "ally" gave me an answer, but that "ally" only appeared after attending New Years Eve at the Bedouin tent near Dimona, Israel. At the countdown for the new civil year, Birthright groups were gathered in a circle, shoulder to shoulder, arm in arm, hugging each other and singing "Am Israel Chai", the Jewish nation lives. Until 3 a.m. we sang Jewish Soul songs. On this night, average Israeli youth go ‘clubbing’. Ironically, Jews from the Diaspora burst out singing Jewish songs. Although, I may have ideological arguments with Conservative and Reform Jews, there are more common denominators than the things that distinguish us.

On Monday night at 2:00 a.m., I remember it was freezing outside. Yoni, the guy who played guitar and made everyone dance, offered me a coat. Yoni is not Orthodox, but you can see how connected he is to his Jewish roots and Jewish people. I wear the coat and rejoin the singing. "Le-ma’an Ach´ai Ve Re´ai". "For all my brothers and friends. For all my sisters and friends." Suddenly the words of God to Samuel evoke great emotion and become vivid.

[1] Adapted from a lesson I gave in front of the Kinor David Congregation, on the 5th of January in Ra´anana, Israel.